Job Description: The Distribution Designer II will prepare detailed technical designs of moderate to high complexity for additions and modifications to company gas and/or electric facilities from onset through completion of project. They will Prepare the construction orders with safe, reliable, and cost-effective designs that conform to company standards, safety orders, and governmental regulations. The Transmission Designer II will demonstrate knowledge of and experience with the interpretation and application of design and engineering principals, Overhead, Underground, Distribution, and CPUC Rules. There is a required Proficiency in AutoCAD, and Geographical Information Systems. Proficiency in PLS-CADD, word processing, spreadsheets and Outlook will also be required. The Designer II should be capable of designing overhead transmission lines using PLS-CADD and develop part of the engineering deliverables with some guidance.
- Coordinate with Client to collect and review customer information to determine impact on existing utilities and how to provide new electric service.
- Review electrical plans to prepare utility load study submittals.
- Identify potential conflicts with existing utility critical facilities.
- Work with utility engineering department for load connection, system reliability, sectionalizing and protection coordination.
- Work with utility construction department for facility verification and construction considerations.
- Work with utility project management department to determine project responsibility of customer and utility work, approve design drawing per utility requirements and input material and labor data into utility costing system.
- Create utility designs using AutoCAD or MicroStation.
- Perform engineering design and prepare design deliverables for underground distribution lines including plan and profiles, trench and conduit design, cable and connector design, cable pole or overhead pole removal design, and material selection in compliance with safety, environmental and client standards and policies.
- Perform engineering calculations such as voltage drop/flicker and pulling tension calculations.
- Prioritize work and manage engineering tasks for multiple projects under budget and time constraints.
- Understand municipality requirements to submit for permits.
- Coordinate with utility Planners and Applicant Design Checkers as needed.
- Coordinate with clients for the sequence of events throughout the life of the project.
- Coordinate with traffic control for major road work.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering/Technology from an accredited college or university
- 3-5 years of underground distribution engineering experience.
- Successfully passed OH/UG Designer Qualification Exam
- Working knowledge of utility design/engineering, construction and project management processes and requirements.
- Ability to handle contacts with clients and other agencies in connection with project design responsibilities.
- Demonstrated leadership and technical capability to perform job responsibilities.
- Problem-solving skills, mathematical and writing skills.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. fluent.
- Knowledge of CPUC utility rules
- PLS-CADD capable
- Knowledge of CPUC utility rules
- Utility project experience to include an ability to read construction plans
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 – $80,000 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Tuition reimbursement
- 8-hour shift
- Monday to Friday
Masks in office, temperature screening at front desk, extra cleaning measures taken
Ability to commute/relocate:
- San Diego, CA 92128: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Associate in Engineering
- Completed/Pass Designer Qualification Program
- Distribution or Transmission HV Electrical: 3-5 years
Work Location: Orbital Project Management in San Diego, CA 92128